10 Reasons to Rock a Ruby [July’s Birthstone]
Ruby is the quintessential red gemstone and, as July’s birthstone, we thought we’d share 10 great reasons for you to rock a ruby this season:
1. In ancient Sanskrit, rubies are called “Ratnaraj”, which means “The King of Gems”.
2. Rubies are the second hardest gemstone after diamond, which means they are perfect for rings that are worn every day (like your engagement ring or wedding band).
3. Mozambique hosts the most significant, recently discovered ruby deposit in the world (many of the rubies we sell come from Mozambique). It’s also the largest known ruby mine in the world.
4. An 8.24ct ruby ring that previously belonged to Elizabeth Taylor, designed by van Cleef & Arpels, was auctioned in 2011 for $4.2million.
5. Ruby is the most expensive coloured gemstone, after a 25.59ct ruby ring sold for $1.267million per carat in 2015, a coloured gemstone record. The “Sunrise Ruby” ring, as it was known, was auctioned by Sotheby’s.
6. Not only is ruby July’s birthstone, it’s also the gemstone that marks your 15th and 40th wedding anniversaries (So you have an excuse to buy more than one in your lifetime!)
7. Victoria Beckam, wife to football player David Beckham, has received 13 engagement rings from him over the course of their 17 year marriage! One of them was this stunning, and massive, ruby and diamond ring. Are you swooning yet?
8. Rubies are believed to ensure harmony, guard against sorrow, inspire confidence and bring success. Why would you say no to that?!
9. If you’re a fan of royalty, the British Royal family has an incredible collection of rubies, including the magnificent “Crown Ruby Necklace”, designed by Prince Albert for Queen Victoria.
10. “Pigeon Blood” rubies are the most desirable shade of red you can find. Typically found in Burma, these rubies are deep red with a hint of blue.
Now that we’ve got you convinced, what’s stopping you from investing in your own gorgeous piece of ruby jewellery? If you’re following us on Instagram (@katannutadiamonds) you will have seen us post some fabulous designs this month. We also have an extensive collection of loose rubies, perfect for us to create a unique and special piece of ruby jewellery. Drop us a line via our contact form and let us know how we can help you.